In Thailand, most of the people have the same problem, which is hot and stuffy weather in every season. Therefore, having a fan in a household is a common thing similar to a household remedy. Though, there are various fan types such as a table fan, a stand fan, and a wall and ceiling fan. These fan types have a similar mechanism. We can divide the fan components into five main components below.
• a motor (electric motor)
• a mechanism that will control a fan to orbit or fix its position
• a propeller and wire guard
• a switch to turn on and off
• a plug
The mechanism of the original electric fan
Regularly, an electric fan will operate when electricity enters the system. Hence, when plugging an electric fan with an electrical outlet and turn on the fan switch, the electricity will enter the motor. It causes a shaft of a propeller to orbit and generate a wind.
A bladeless fan
8 years ago the Dyson company, which is the British technology company that was established by James Dyson invented the breakthrough technology. This technology makes the original blade fan look meaningless. The company introduced a new electric appliance to the world, which is a bladeless fan, a Dyson Air Multiplier. It projects a stream of smooth and high-velocity air circulation. The air is directed up into the hoop-like tube at the top of the pedestal where it’s forced out of a circular narrow slit running around the hoop. Then, the air flows along the surface of the inside of the tube and out toward the front of the fan that can determine the direction. This appliance does not need a wire guard. Therefore, the fan is safe and easy to clean.
How the Air Multiplier works
The air is directed up into the hoop-like tube at the top of the pedestal where it’s forced out of a circular narrow slit running around the hoop. Then, the air flows along the surface of the inside of the tube and out toward the front of the fan that can determine the direction. The surrounding air will be included in the airflow. Hence, it releases a cool stream of smooth and high-velocity air. Furthermore, the engineering team from the Dyson company does not stop to enhance and improve this invention. The engineering team continues developing from the first bladeless fan model. Consequently, the newer generation of bladeless fan operates 75 percent quieter but it still can deliver a powerful airflow. The engineering team added the Helmholtz cavities to specifically mute sounds in the range of 1,000 Hertz, which is quieter than the wing beat of mosquitoes.
The tips for choosing and maintenancing this electric appliance are below
• The consideration should be based on needs and usage places, for instance, a table fan for a small family that has only 1-2 members is enough since it has a compact size and consumes less electricity cost, while a stand fan is better for a family that has children. However, the bladeless fan is one of the good choices as some models come in an affordable price.
• The customer should select the model that was qualified Thai Industrial Standard by Thai Industrial Standards Institute or Label no.5 qualification. Besides a good quality model, the customer can ensure that the model is energy-saving.
• Cleaning fan components such as wire guard, back cover, and an area near the motor would save the electricity cost. Dust or oil stain would reduce the performance of the motor and waste electric power.
• Ensure to unplug after use especially for a model that has a remote control. Even though we turn off the switch after use, leaving the electric appliance plugged in would consume the electric power.
• The adjusting wind speed level, whether it is high or low, should be suitable with places and needs. If you adjust higher wind speed than necessary, you will use more electric power.